DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
The Department of Library and Information Science had its inception during the academic year 2020-2021. The Department offers a professional Master’s Degree programme (MLIS) and a Ph.D. Degree Programme in Library and Information Science. In addition, an Add-on Course six months Certificate course in Library and Information Science is also offered. MLIS course duration is of two (2) years and comprises four (4) semesters.
The physical and academic infrastructure is well organised to suit the innovative technologies equipped class rooms with LCD Projectors and Public Address System, Computer Lab with Internet facility and required hardware and software for teaching-learning, Wi-Fi facility in campus, access to e-books, e- journals from INFLIBNET and National Digital Library of India (NDLI) and institutional repositories, subscription to national and international journals and magazines, latest books on library and information science, separate hostels on campus etc. The Department also organizes several events for the benefit of the students like workshops, Seminars, guest lectures and study tours by eminent academics from India and abroad.
M.Lib.I.Sc. programme is a professional degree. There is a great demand for the library professionals in the job market. M.Lib.I.Sc. postgraduates get placed as Librarians, Information Scientists, Knowledge Managers, Cataloguers, Indexers, Information Analysts, Reference Services Specialists, Technical Editors, Consultants, etc. in traditional libraries & information centres and corporate sectors also. Those who qualify UGC-NET or SLET and Ph.D examination can enter academics as an Assistant Professor or Assistant Librarian of a University or Librarian of a College. Those who qualify UGC-JRF can pursue research in the field of Library & Information Science with UGC fellowship. This course offers ample placement opportunities to the stake holders.
AIMS OF THE PROGRAMME
1. To enhance high level skills and training necessary for those aspiring to hold higher positions in library and information centres within the country and abroad
2. To form the library and information professionals for the changing scenario
3. To acquire learners familiarized with the basic concepts of information and its communication in society
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
1. To educate information processing techniques and develop capability in retrieving information efficiently by applying different search techniques;
2. To get the students acquainted with the activities and services of different information systems and introduce them to packaging and consolidation techniques;
3. To imbibe different methods and techniques of research;
4. To obtain ICT based skills using open source software in order to make them serve competently in an automated and networked environment; and
5. To introduce modern tools and techniques to students to manage Libraries and Information Centres effectively.