The Department of Chemistry was one of the earliest departments at Nirmala College for Women, which was started as a Physical Science Department for intermediate students in 1950 and as Pre-university course in 1956. Since 1959 and 1967, it was offered as an ancillary subject for Botany and Zoology main respectively. It was established as major department in 1979 which was an important milestone in the history of the department. It has grown to the status of PG and research department since 2011. It offers UG, PG, M.Phil and Ph.D programmes.
The department receives funding support from DST FIST and DBT Star College Scheme. The chemistry laboratories are well furnished and equipped with instruments like UV spectrophotometer, Spectro fluorometer and Electrochemical workstation. The department carries a good academic record and has a team of dedicated qualified faculty members, who have publications in reputed journals. Seminars and workshops under various fields of Chemistry are being organized every year. The department strives to train and mentor students as responsible chemists, scientifically literate professionals and holistic personalities in all aspects of chemistry and life.